Developing and maintaining coal trading industry standards, information, and resources is part of the American Coal Council's services. The organization supports the use of commercial trading standards to promote market liquidity.
Information and resources on coal trading are available for ACC members and non-members by clicking on the links below:
In addition to these publicly-available resources, the training materials for the Fundamentals of Coal Trading Course are available only to ACC members. This course covers the basics of coal trading:
- Types of trading instruments (forward contracts, swaps, options, basis trades)
- Identifying and managing risk
- Understanding forward curves
- Establishing a trading function in your organization.
Topics covered include the following:
- Coal commodities and trading platforms
- Hedging strategies for producers and generators
- Swaps and physical indexation
- Futures and options
- Time, quality, and location spreads
- Settlements process and
- Credit and contract language
For Fundamentals of Coal Trading Course Materials – ACC members may log in here.